Q&A Session for Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Apprentices

Q&A Session for Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Apprentices

This article was originally published on 13 February 2015

Last week we told you about our ongoing commitment to engage in educational projects and our visit to Milton Keynes College, where we delivered presentations and Q+A sessions to students enrolled in the Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Apprenticeship Programme.

We found these sessions very interesting and we thought it would be worth sharing some of the questions and answers with our blog readers. So if you are a student soon leaving college or you have just started your career as a vehicle technician, we hope it can shed some light on how Autotech Recruit could help you.

1. Does Autotech Recruit only provide work for MOT testers and vehicle technicians locally?

Autotech Recruit’s office is based in Buckinghamshire, but we provide work all over the UK. You can either fill contracts local to where you live or, if you are willing to travel, we can offer you contract work in other parts of the country.

2. Who would I work for: Autotech Recruit or the garage?

If it is a permanent position, you are employed by the company who own and run the garage you are working in. If you are a contractor, you will be working on behalf Autotech Recruit, representing us on the temporary contract you are covering. Contractors are effectively self-employed.

3. Does Autotech Recruit offer part-time work?

Yes, as an MOT tester or vehicle technician contractor you can choose a work pattern to suit your circumstances. The contracts that we offer are determined by the requirements of our clients and therefore can last from 1 day to 6 months. When it comes to permanent work, that position's contract would clearly state that it is a part-time position and the specific work pattern.

4. What qualifications do I need?

Most of our contractors have either time served experience or a technician level 2 or 3 professional qualification. For MOT tester contracts an active MOT Smartcard is essential.

5. Do I need a driving licence?

Yes, due to the nature of the work all Autotech Recruit contractors are required to hold a valid and in-date driving licence. If you have a driving licence from a European Union (EU) country, we will accept this as long as it is valid and in date. If your driving licence is from a country outside the EU, you can drive in Great Britain for 12 months if you’ve got a non-European Union (EU) driving licence or international driving permit. After this time you can then apply to exchange it for a GB licence up to 5 years after becoming a GB resident.

6. What if I didn’t want to work for a specific company/garage?

If you would prefer not to work for a specific client or at a particular site, you can decline any contract work offer.

7. Could I work in two different places?

The nature of contract work allows you to move around different companies should you wish to.

8. What documentation does Autotech Recruit ask for?

We only require copies of the following documents and will never ask you to send your original documents.

Documents - all candidates

• Up-to-date CV
• Driving license and counterpart (required for the client insurance purposes)
• Passport, birth certificate or EU national ID (required for proof of eligibility to work in the UK)
• Copies of your qualifications certificates (e.g. IMI, HND, SVQ, NVQ, City&Guilds, BTEC, ATA)

Documents - MOT testers only

• Smartcard (required for your VOSA User ID for remote log on to clients VTS)
• VOSA certificate (required for confirmation of your MOT tester status)

9. Who determines my pay?

For a permanent placement that would be agreed between yourself and the client. With contract placements we determine the hourly rate based on skills, location and length of contract.

10. Do we check the work environments ourselves?

Unfortunately, Autotech Recruit representatives cannot check every client location ourselves. All our clients have health and safety policies in place governing their sites working environment.

11. Do I need my own tools/equipment?

In some cases yes but it depends on the nature of the work requested by the client.

12. Does Autotech Recruit offer work abroad?

In terms of temporary contracts, no, we currently do not offer work abroad. However, we have partnered with a company in Australia, who offer permanent positions for qualified vehicle technicians.

Scroll to Top